Tips for Shopping:
- If you do a lot of online shopping, your anti-malware software must be up-to-date. Hackers and other ne’er-do-wells often target popular shopping websites to phish for identification and account information. Heed any warnings your security software gives you about sites and report suspicious activity to the webmaster of the shopping site.
- When you enjoy the convenience of frequent online shopping, it’s very important to keep changing the passwords you use for each account. Every couple of weeks or so, make up a new password for your bank and the shopping sites directly. Use abstract words, combined with numbers and other odd characters for the strongest passwords.
- Always read every detail on the product page of an item you want to buy. You can be fooled by online photos of products. A picture can make the item look smaller or bigger than it really is. A careful reading of the description will prevent your from making a mistake.
- When you are making a purchase online, ensure that you use a credit card to pay for the transaction. Credit card users are protected against fraud by federal law and are only liable for $50 in these cases. Some card agencies will even go so far as to wave the $50 for you, meaning that you will not be out of pocket.
- Be careful where you submit your credit card information. When you are shopping online, always use secure sites. These are sites that have taken steps to protect your valuable information. A secured website will begin with HTTPS instead of the standard HTTP. There will also be a locked icon, either in your address or status bar, depending on which browser you use.
- When ordering a product from an online store, make sure the URL of the page starts with HTTPS instead of HTTP. This is a sign that the page is secure and that you can submit your payment information without having to worry. If you do not notice this HTTPS, go through a different store.
- When shopping online, always stop to read product reviews. Other customer’s reviews are one of your biggest assets. They will tell you whether clothing sizes run small or large, if there are any common issues with a product, or if it isn’t quite what the website describes. Taking these reviews into account could save you some big headaches later on.
- There are many online shopping discount sites. These sites allow internet searchers to find the best deals on the internet. Look through several of these sites to find the best deal on the item you are searching for. For best results, open several tabs on your internet browser and peruse a variety of these sites to find the best deals.
- When you buy a product from an online retailer, be sure that you check the merchant’s return policy. Some retailers charge a restocking fee for returned merchandise. This would not be a good deal for you if you tend to change your mind about purchases after you buy them.
- Do a quick web search for promo keys and discounts prior to making any online purchases. Often, there are discount keys out there that you may not be aware of! This could save you 10% to 20%, or offer you things like free shipping or a discount on a secondary item.
Hopefully this article has helped guide you to a more convenient online shopping experience. There are many benefits, but you must know how you can have access to them without making things more difficult on yourself. Keep in mind the tips you’ve read so that you can enjoy your online shopping.