Many people watch basketball and wonder how the people on TV or at their local parks learned all those amazing skills. If you are someone that wants a better understanding of the game, then you’re in the right place. Below you will find a great article with fascinating tips on how to be a better basketball player. If you are trying to figure out how to improve your ability to pass in basketball, think visualization. Visualizing where the player you’re going to pass to is going and will be by the time the ball reaches him is crucial. Being able to predict the exact spot will result in amazing passes!
Tips to follow:
- Try practice rebound drills that will help you learn to rebound outside your area in basketball. Great rebounders will try to get the ball no matter its location. Poor rebounders will remain still and watch the ball since they think they can’t reach it. To learn rebounding out of your area, run some drills that causes the ball to go far away from you. One way is to throw it off the back board and go after it.
- When you are playing in a game, try your best to forget your misses. Nothing good can come from you dwelling on the last shot you missed or the last 20 you missed. Each shot is a new opportunity to score. Stay clam and keep trying even if you miss a few. Dwelling on the miss will lead to you overreacting and missing even more.
- Be careful not to travel when dribbling the basketball. Traveling occurs when you take too many steps in between dribbles. It’s most likely to happen when going up for a shot. Just one extra step will mean the difference between a score and a turnover, so practice shooting as often as you can.
- Don’t just practice offense. Unlike some other sports, basketball players need to play both offense and defense constantly. There are no breaks in the game, and a great shooter can negate his or her benefit to the team by being a very poor defender. You need to become good on both ends of the court.
How to Play:
- Try yoga to improve your basketball game. You might not want to tell your teammates about it, since some of them are going to likely laugh. However, the increased flexibility and agility you get helps prevent injuries or at least leaves able to get back up quicker when you get knocked down. Don’t laugh; Kareem Abdul-Jabaar used it to extend his NBA career.
- If you are the parent of a young up and coming basketball player, make sure the coach you trust them with isn’t too obsessed about winning. Although this may sound counterproductive, it’s actually more important that your son or daughter be encouraged thoughtfully and with care, rather than screamed at and threatened. Check out the reputation of any coach first.
- Proper aim is crucial when trying to make baskets. Ideally, you should aim for the small square found on the backboard. Doing this increases your chances of the ball actually going down the basket. Avoid trying to aim for the next; you are less likely to be successful when doing so.
- Ball control is an essential skill for good basketball playing. One simple drill to improve your control is to use a ball in each hand for dribbling practice. Bounce one ball first and then just a second after, bounce the other. Alternate the bounce as you move down the court. As you gain more control, pick up the pace.
- To get an amazing arm workout, dribble the ball on a patch of dirt. This will take a lot of power as the dirt absorbs most of the energy you put into the ball when it hits. Do this for a few minutes, but don’t over exert yourself or you could hurt your arm.
Force them away from their comfort zone. When you are guarding, do so aggressively. Other players should not influence the plays you make. The more aggressively smart team is usually the one who wins. It’s important, then, to be aggressive and mess up their game rhythms. Reading the above article gave you great insights into what it takes to improve your basketball skills. Anyone can get better, but in order to perfect your technique, you need to learn how to play the right way. Use the tips here to help you practice and improve your basketball skills.