If you’re looking to get away from it all with a trip away from home, don’t forget to travel smart. A mishap, mistake or forgotten item can ruin a vacation as surely as bad weather or an unpleasant travel companion. While there are some things you just can’t control, maximize your chances of having a good trip with the following travel tips.
- Calling a family or friend when you leave and arrive on a trip isn’t just for kids. It is a good way to put them at ease, and also to make sure that if something goes wrong on your trip, someone will know about it quicker. If you have not called by a certain time, and they cannot reach you, this person will be able to take appropriate actions to find you or find out what happened.
- Dress in layers and you are sure to be ready for any weather. Weather can be unpredictable, especially if you are visiting an unfamiliar place. By having several layers of clothing, you can add or remove pieces depending on the temperature. This is especially useful for all day adventures which start in the cool morning but warm up later in the day.
- Take a good book with you to read when traveling. If you always have something interesting to do, you will be less likely to get frustrated or bored during layovers and other time delays that are beyond your control. Buy a new title that you have been wanting to read so that you have something to look forward to.
- Try to wait until the last minute to book. It may sound counter-intuitive, but waiting until the last moment often frees up deals brought on by companies looking to fill their open slots for low rates. A hotel room with no one in it does not provide revenue, so many last minute visitors can request, and get, great deals.
- Remote areas are often among the most interesting of possible travel destinations. Just make sure you take necessities like your prescription medicines with you. One way of looking at it is that if something isn’t available for sale where you are then you probably didn’t need it anyway! Items like medicines, however, can be indispensable so don’t leave having them to chance.
- Try and get as much knowledge of the destination you’re going to travel to before you arrive there. You want to have an idea of the things you want to do rather than finally getting to the hotel and feeling lost and bored. You can also ask hotel employees and locals where good places to check out are.
- Make sure you pick a favorable season to enjoy your travels, when possible. You don’t want to travel to somewhere and be stuck in the hotel during your entire stay because of unfavorable weather conditions. If you are unsure when it is best to travel to a given location. ask a friend or look it up online.
- For the inside scoop, join a travel forum months before you decide on a destination or lodging. People who enjoy traveling and discussing their experiences are an excellent source of information and most remain completely objective when making recommendations and offering detailed reviews and information.
- Before you travel it is a good idea to join some online travel forums like TripAdvisor, Fodors, Frommers and LonelyPlanet. These forums are great places to pick up tips and advice from people who have already visited your chosen travel destination. You can also use these forums to find a travelling partner.
- If you are looking for a place to eat while traveling, ask your cab driver. They know of all the good local food joints that won’t cost you an arm and a leg to eat at. You can also just look to see which restaurants have cabs parked in front of them. That is a strong indication that the establishment has good food at a low price.
Now that you’ve read the above travel tips, you’re more prepared to meet your travel destiny with the fearlessness of thorough preparation. Keeping these few simple things in mind whenever you leave home on a trip will give you more peace of mind and make sure you bring home more stories about great experiences rather than about stressful learning experiences.